We will always endeavour to keep our school open in the event of snow/ severe weather. However, should our heating fail, the site be unsafe or insufficient staff be able to travel, we would have to make the decision to close.
Parents/ carers have a responsibility to get their child to and from school safely and need to decide if the journey is safe when severe weather affects transport links and/or walking conditions. Parents/carers should inform school if their child/children are absent from school due to severe weather conditions. If your child has a disability your decision to make the journey must take this into consideration.
If conditions worsen during the school day and parents/carers feel it is absolutely necessary to collect children, the school should be contacted prior to collection.
How we will let you know if the school is closed?
- A text sent via ParentMail will be sent to the main contact
- An announcement on www.kentclosures.co.uk
- An announcement via the schools Twitter page @St_Nicholas_CEP
- Listen to the following Radio Stations; Radio Kent, Heart Radio or KMFM
We will endeavour to make any announcements before 8.00am, depending upon the circumstances.
What can you do to help?
- Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- If the school is open, please walk your child(ren) to school. If this is not possible, please make arrangements to car share and drive carefully.
- Please ensure children are wearing warm clothing - gloves, hat, scarf, wellies and even maybe extra socks! School shoes are also needed.
Your support and understanding during such periods of inclement weather would be much appreciated.